Kids will be kids. Meaning chances are that sometime before their adult life they will experience some sort of accident or suffer from an injury. Injuries children experience include everything from a broken bone to a sprained ankle and minor scrapes to the loss of a tooth. Some injuries are minor and can easily be treated in the comfort of the child’s home. However, some are more serious and need emergency medical attention.
If the child suffers from a dental emergency it might be necessary to see a kid’s dentist in the Denver area. To better help determine if the child does need emergency dental care, we have compiled a list of reasons to seek emergency pediatric dental care.
- Bitten lip or tongue: Clean the bite with water and use a cold compress to prevent/reduce swelling. Contact the dentist to determine how serious it is.
Broken, chipped or fractured tooth: Rinse the child’s mouth out with warm water and apply a cold compress to reduce swelling. Locate the tooth and contact the dentist immediately for assistance.
- Knocked-out tooth: Rinse the child’s mouth with water. Pick up the tooth only touching the crown of it and place in a container filled with cold mild. Contact the dentist immediately or go to the hospital. The faster action is taken, the greater the chances are to save the tooth.
- Loose tooth: If the child’s tooth is loose try to remove it so the child does not swallow or inhale it. Put under the pillow for the tooth fairy if it was a baby tooth. If it is an adult tooth, contact the dentist for further instruction.
- Object caught in the teeth: It might be possible to remove the object using dental floss or dental pick. If the object will not come out, give the dentist a call for further instructions.
- Toothache: If the child is complaining of a toothache, rinse his or her mouth with warm water and take a look at the area. Ensure nothing is caught in the teeth and use a cold compress to sooth the area. Contact the dentist if the pain persists.
Still not sure if the child needs emergency pediatric dental care? Let us help determine that. Contact us at Hayutin Pediatric Dentistry to discuss the child’s injury, if it is an emergency or not, and how we can help!